'Kamat Kicks Up a Fuss' - Copyright Stephanie Ayres 2013
An Illustrated Future - Permaculture Design
Hi there! My name is Stephanie Ayres, Illustrator of When the Tree Flew by Gabrielle Jonas. This book was about the ecosystem of the Florida cypress swamps.
I hope to create more ecologically inspiring/educational books in the future to help to change peoples attitudes to sustainable from an early age. I mainly create books for children, however I do hope that I can produce some beautifully illustrated books on permaculture for adults.
However, to be able to do this, I must first have the know how! So hopefully with your kind donations I will be able to attend the wonderful Permaculture Design Course run by Earth Ways in Scotland, UK. This is an extensive course that runs for 12 days, and promotes a very hands on approach to learning, during the course we will be designing a new permaculture garden for an outstanding spiritual retreat centre called Anam Cara.
Holistic Permaculture Design
The unique aspects of this holistic approach to permaculture course include delving deep into having a permaculture diet, and we will also be concentrating on our connection to nature. So not only will we be learning how to create a wonderful permaculture garden, but we will learn how to eat from it sustainably, how to design our diet to be in tune with the seasons, and thus feel a deeper connection to the cycles of nature through what we do, eat and live.
So the benefits are threefold! I will gain the knowledge I need to design permaculture gardens, which will allow me to make my own garden, write and illustrate childrens/adult books on permaculture and Anam Cara will gain their very own wonderful garden!
The cost of the course is £750 ($1150)
Travel expense £120 ($184)
Total- £870 ($1334)
I would love to raise the full amount, so £870 ($1334) is my ACTUAL target, NOT the lower £521 ($800). However any money raised towards it is extremely useful and appreciated. Fingers crossed that we can smash the target!
Thank you for your time, consideration, and any donations that you give, they are very much appreciated!!!
All rewards will be sent out after the completion of the design course, most likely in September 2013.
Woah woah woah! But what is Permaculture, and what will this course include?
The Permaculture Design Course (PDC) is an internationally recognized certificate course covering every major topic in Permaculture: a Designers Manual. I will learn a broad range of topics applicable to life anywhere on this planet, and create designs for real world projects such as food forests, permaculture-style gardens, natural building, water catchment, and irrigation systems. Because the course is at a place already implementing Permaculture practices, l will see the incredible effects of permaculture in action.
Permaculture itself is built on a set of Principles derived from the ecological patterns, scientific knowledge, and indigenous wisdom of this planet, and is guided by a set of ethics that guide us toward care for people, care for the earth and conscious consumption.
Major topics of the Permaculture Design Course include the following:
- Philosophies and Ethics underlying permaculture
- Basic permaculture principles
- Patterns in Nature and how to use that in permaculture design
- Methods of design. Applying permaculture design methodology and strategies to meet your design goals.
- Climactic factors and strategies for all major climates.
- Trees, forests and forest gardening. Mimicing forest systems to create an abundance of food, fiber, and fodder.
- Water: catchment, usage, importance, and conservation.
- Soil structure, minerals, microorganisms, building new soil and preventing erosion. Working with the soil food web to create a healthy ecosystem and regenerate degraded land.
- Earthworks. Shaping the land to help it achieve the goals we are aiming for.
- Natural Building. Building structures with materials available on-location.
- Alternative systems. Community living and other ways of living that work well for both people and the planet. Bioregional organization, community development, alternative economic systems, permaculture as aid.
The Permaculture Design Course is often a launching-off point to gain the inspiration, information and the community support to choose a lifestyle that brings greater holistic success.
'The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side'- Copyright Stephanie Ayres 2013